[Xorp-users] BGP local preference

Tapio Nolvi tapio.nolvi at gmail.com
Tue Jun 17 06:12:40 PDT 2008

Hi all.

I'm new to BGP and XORP and surprisingly I have run into troubles. I'm
working on a testbed and currently I'm playing around with BGP attributes. I
have tried but can't find a correct way of using local preferences. Could
someone please assist me on this one?

I have 4 xorp routers (some are virtualised machines) all fysically
connected to each other and I have succesfully tested the effect of med
value changes to the routing tables on a simple topology. I would now like
to do the same with the localpref. If we use the following topology as an
example, where R1-R3 are BGP routers, R4 is a "normal" machine and R2 and R3
are on the same AS. Where should I put the policy that sets localpref of the
R2 and R3 routers when considering the route from R1 to R4 and vice versa? A
simple example would be great.

    R1
  /      \
R2    R3