[Xorp-users] communication between IGMP and PIM

Pavlin Radoslavov pavlin at ICSI.Berkeley.EDU
Thu Jun 19 11:11:27 PDT 2008

Dr Ben G Wu <ben at sparkcomputing.co.uk> wrote:

> 1. I got the same problem. I just found out that i should not use
> 224.0.0.0/4. I used 239.255.0.0/16 and my simple multicast routing
> just starts working!
>
>  my network is vlan1 ------ Rotuer ----- vlan2
>
> 2. i do not need mrib-route configured in my case. that's that mean
> the multicast source will not be known then? I run 'show igmp group'
> command i got these:
> Interface    Group           Source          LastReported Timeout V State
> eth2         239.255.1.10    0.0.0.0         192.168.2.253     227 2     E
>
> The Source is 0.0.0.0. I will try to put mrib-route back to see if the
> source ip can be listed correctly

If you don't use mrib-route, then the multicast RPF will use exactly
same information as unicast routing. The mrib-route statements are
needed if, say, your multicast traffic should use different path
from unicast.

Source 0.0.0.0 in the above output is normal.
It means that the multicast join state is (*, 239.255.1.10), i.e.,
any-source multicast for that group. Only if you use source-specific
multicast (in IGMPv3) the Source field will be set to something
else.