[Xorp-users] ASM Configuration Options with XORP

Pavlin Radoslavov pavlin at ICSI.Berkeley.EDU
Tue Jun 24 10:18:32 PDT 2008

Archimedes S. Gaviola <agaviola at infoweapons.com> wrote:

> To Whom It May Concerned:
>
> Hello and good day! I have 2 multicast routers running XORP 1.4 and I
> want to configure it with ASM. I have tried SSM which is more
> straightforward to configure because only few configurations options
> were being set in the configuration file (config.boot). In the manual, I
> could see the options like
>
> static-rps
> bootstrap (with sub options of candidate BSR and candidate RP)
>
> In my scenario were there are 2 ASM multicast routers, I am going to
> have the same RP address in the static-rps option? When I am going to

Yes, if you decide that you are going to use static RPs in your
network, then all PIM-SM routers must have exactly same set of
static RPs configuration.

> use bootstrap option? Is it used to configure both the multicast
> routers? What about candidate BSR and candidate RP, when to use them? My
> goal is to setup a very simple ASM network with a streaming server on
> one side of the network behind a multicast router and streaming clients
> on the other side with another multicast router.

If you have a very small number of PIM-SM routers, then static RPs
is a simpler mechanism: simpler to understand, configure and debug.
The downside is that it is static and error-prone.
If you decide to change the Cand-RP set then you need to reconfigure
all of your routers. The reconfiguration should happen while there
is no multicast streaming otherwise you might create a multicast
loop and bring the whole network down.
Another downside is that if you have redundant links and the current
RP (as defined in the static config) is disconnected, the rest of
the network won't be able to use multicast.

The Bootstrap mechanism is dynamic and doesn't have the
disadvantages listed above. However, it is more complex to
understand and is more difficult to debug.

It looks like you have a very simple topology: just two multicast
routers with a single link between them.
In that case I think a single static RP should be fine. For
efficiency (to avoid the PIM Register encapsulation) you might want
to select the RP to be the router that is directly connected to the
sender.
Just don't forget to have same state-rps statement in both routers :)

Pavlin