[Xorp-users] Questions on multicast routing.

Pavlin Radoslavov pavlin at ICSI.Berkeley.EDU
Tue Jun 24 11:07:41 PDT 2008

> Ok, thanks for that info.  I think I'll spend a few minutes
> trying to understand the BSR code a bit to make sure it's not just
> some simple problem.  I like the idea of everything just being automated,
> since my routers may come and go from the network.
>
> The bootstrap code is in pim/pim_bsr.cc primarily?

It is in pim/pim_bsr.cc and pim/pim_proto_bootstrap.cc. The related
PIM Cand-RP-Adv code is in pim/pim_proto_cand_rp_adv.cc.
Note that when a multicast PIM Bootstrap message is received, it
might be rejected for some reasons. One reason could be if the
message didn't come from the RPF router toward the Cand-BSR router
in the message. Hence, if the unicast routing is not working
properly, the Bootstrap mechanism might fail.

If you want to understand how the BSR works in general, it is better
to read the BSR spec (RFC 5059).