[Xorp-users] static Route 0.0.0.0/0

Dan Lukes dan at obluda.cz
Sat Mar 1 09:52:47 PST 2008

> Florian Thiessenhusen napsal/wrote:
>> i am testing some very simple Xorp-functions in a testlab.
>> protocols {
>>     static {
>>         disable: false
>>         route 0.0.0.0/0 {
>>             next-hop: 192.168.15.11
>>             metric: 1
>>         }
>
>> I cannot route into 0.0.0.0/0 (Internet?). It will not work. Where is the failure?

> 2. what mean "it will not work" exactly, in the terms like  "X sends
> packet to Y, it shall be routed via Z but never arrive on it" ?

> "Will not work" means, that when i try to ping an external IP Adress, i got the following error:
> "Reply from [IP of router]: Destination unreachable."
> (Client sends packet to [external IP], it shall be routed via router to the Corporate Firewall (192.168.15.11) but never arrives on it.

	Well. So there is no problem with the client but the router.

> 3. what's the route table entry for the outgoing packet in question ?

> The Routiong table of the client has no route to the specific external IP Adress.

	We have problem with the router - so routing table on the client is no
relevant. You need to consult the routing table on the server. Also, I'm
not sure what you mena speaking about "specific route entry". We need to
look for the entry appropriate for the packet in question - whenever
it's specific or not. So use "route get <destination IP>" or similar
command (depends on your OS). If there is NO routing entry for the
destination, then you know why you got "destination unreachable".

						Dan