[Xorp-users] Simple Question

Scher, Dave dscher at mitre.org
Sun Mar 9 15:02:35 PDT 2008

In the XORP User Manual on page 96 you can find the following excerpt
about a BGP router originating two subnets.
My question is what configuration command invokes originating route
advertisements for BGP.  Seems to me that you have to either import
static routes to advertise.
Or more simply that BGP will advertise directly connected nets over
BGP.

What is the XORP equivalent of the cisco commands:

BGP Router 65000
neighbor 192.168.1.100 remote-as 65001
network 10.10.10.0 mask 255.255.255.0

Thanks.
Dave

This router is also configured to originate routing advertisements for
two subnets. These subnets might be

directly connected, or might be reachable via IGP routing.

The first advertisement this router originates is for subnet
128.16.16/24, reachable via both unicast and

multicast. The nexthop specified in 128.16.64.1, and this must be
reachable via other routes in the routing

table, or this advertisement will not be made. If this router had any
IBGP peerings, then the BGP route

advertised to those peers would indicate that 128.16.16/24 was
reachable via next hop 128.16.64.1. However

in this case the only peering is an EBGP peering, and the next hop in
all routes sent to that peer is set to

128.16.64.4 according to the nexthop directive for the peering.