[Xorp-users] Question regrading IPv6 stack as a Host

Bruce M Simpson bms at incunabulum.net
Wed Nov 5 04:35:23 PST 2008

Tushar Mehta wrote:
> Doubt: If I run the XORP(IPv6 is enabled in the configuration file) on
> this Linux machine and then if I am checking the functionality of the
>             XORP as an IPv6 host then whether all the responses() will
> come through the XORP or it will come from kernel itself?

Only the routing protocol control plane traffic which uses IPv6 as a
transport is going to originate from XORP (e.g. OSPF, BGP, RIP-NG etc.)

Everything else is the responsibility of your host OS. (e.g. DAD, ICMPv6
etc).
>             If it is coming from the kernel itself then the
> functionality of the XORP is not verified.
>
> Questions:
> 1) is it possible to run the XORP as an IPv6 host?

Yes.

> 2) if it is possible to run XORP as an IPv6 host what should be the
> configuration(i.e. kernel configuration, XORP configuration etc...)

Just use IPv6 addresses when configuring routing protocols. This is
explained in more detail in the XORP User Manual.

> 3) Is it true that XORP uses the kernel stack? if it is so then if  my
> kernel module of IPv6 is disabled XORP can not run in the IPv6 mode?

Yes, XORP uses the IPv6 support in the base system, it does not ship its
own IPv6 stack.

You should consult the relevant references for Fedora to make sure IPv6
is enabled on the interface(s) you wish to use.  Whilst XORP is able to
configure global IPv6 addresses itself, it isn't responsible for
configuring link-local addresses.

I recommend picking up a copy of "IPv6 Network Administration" published
by O'Reilly.

thanks
BMS