[Xorp-users] multicast routing

Bruce Simpson bms at incunabulum.net
Tue Nov 18 08:16:28 PST 2008

Marek Greško wrote:
> I have a problem to configure mutlicast routing. I have a linux 2.6.27.5
> gateway running xorp 1.5 with 4 network interfaces. I configured eth0, eth1
> and eth3 for muticast routing (eth1) is the interface to provider.
>
> I tried to put client behind eth0 and request for muticast stream from vlc
> client. The requested muticast address appeared in the show igmp group. But
> the group was not propagated to the interface of the provider so I do not get
> the stream. What have I messed up?

* Is there any NAT between you and your ISP?

If so, and you are unable to run PIM, then you need an IGMP proxy.

XORP does not currently have an IGMP proxy capability, though I'm sure
if there's enough interest (and funding), I could write one. [As far as
I'm aware it's not on XORP, Inc.'s immediate roadmap.]

* Are you already running PIM?

* Are you *able* to run PIM to talk to your upstream ISP's multicast
routers?

* Does your PIM instance bring up a peering with your ISP?

Look here for hints on diagnostic commands to answer the above questions:

http://mailman.icsi.berkeley.edu/pipermail/xorp-users/2005-June/000668.html

thanks
BMS