[Xorp-users] [SPF:fail] Re: multicast routing

Bruce Simpson bms at incunabulum.net
Tue Nov 18 10:20:43 PST 2008

Marek Greško wrote:
>> * Are you *able* to run PIM to talk to your upstream ISP's multicast
>> routers?
>>

> I do not know how to test that. If I put client directly to the cable from
> provider everything works.

Whoops, missed this detail. Sounds like your upstream ISP listens to
IGMP on their customer net blocks, and aren't running PIM on those
customer facing prefixes.

It may be helpful all the same to ask them about PIM to see what their
reaction is. All the same, please try configuring a static-rp as per
Pavlin's recommendation.

If that doesn't work, it sounds like you will have to use an IGMP proxy
of some kind at each multicast hop in your own network, and very careful
configuration would be needed for loop-free forwarding (one of the
problems PIM attempts to solve).

XORP does not currently support this functionality, furthermore, even if
you deployed PIM in a network under your administrative control, there
is still the problem of going from PIM to IGMP on the upstream.

thanks
BMS