[Xorp-users] multiple tables

Ben Greear greearb at candelatech.com
Wed Nov 19 15:29:12 PST 2008

Cao, Jean wrote:
> I have read the posting on supporting multiple routing tables
> (http://mailman.icsi.berkeley.edu/pipermail/xorp-users/2007-August/001869.html).
> It seems that this has been successfully done.  But when I try to run
> two xorp instances, each using a different table-id, I don't get
> extra tables.  All entries are added into the main table.  'ip route
> show table 4' doesn't give me anything.  I am wondering if I have missed
> any steps here.

You have to compile on a recent Linux that has multiple routing table
support in the netlink libraries.  Fedora 8 and later works without
having to manually hack include files, other recent distributions probably
work as well.

Please note that if you want these routers to talk to each other, you
also need a lot of clever ip rules and you will also need some patches
to the Linux kernel.  My company has these patches available...if you
are interested, let me know and I'll send you a link.

If you are just using the xorp to talk to external systems, you
probably won't need any additional patches.