[Xorp-users] Builing xorp with --enable-shared vs --with-pic

Jose Manuel dos Santos Calhariz jose.spam at netvisao.pt
Tue Oct 7 15:31:01 PDT 2008

I don't know why but I didn't receive the 2 replys to my question.
Copying from the archives.

Jose Manuel dos Santos Calhariz <jose.spam at netvisao.pt> wrote:

> > Hi
> >
> > As I don't understand well the compiling process of xorp 1.5 so I have a
> > question.
> >
> > What is the diference of building xorp using switch --enable-shared vs
> > --with-pic in a Linux system.
> >
> > If building xorp with snmp support it will generate shared libraries
> > for mibs that are made with objects compiled without -fPIC.  This is a
> > problem in Linux and even breaks on x86_84 systems.
> >
> > What is best? --enable-shared or with-pic
> >
> > See bug report on Debian for more info
> >
> >      Jose Calhariz

> What is the original issue you are trying to solve?
> According to the above Debian bug report, I am guessing XORP failed
> to compile on x86_64 machine with SNMP enabled.

> Did you try to use the following commands:
>        ./configure --with-snmp --enable-shared
>        gmake clean
>        gmake

> The original text in xorp/ERRATA cited FreeBSD as one of the example
> OS-es that have that problem. I just tried Ubuntu-7.10 on amd64, and
> using --enable-shared fixed the problem for me.

The two options seams to work, --enable-shared and --with-pic.  I am
asking what is the best option in the opinion of Xorp developers, as I
am one of the persons building xorp to be released in Debian.  But
this weekend I had to use a i386 machine for the tests.  It don't
break the compilation but complains about non -fPIC code inside a
shared library.

Now that my x86_64 machine is again working I can try it and be 100%
certain that --enable-shared or --with-pic solve the problem.

> Note that I used latest vanilla XORP code from CVS, including the
> rev. 1.27 fix to the following file that I just applied:
> http://cvsweb.xorp.org/cgi-bin/cvsweb.cgi/xorp/mibs/bgp4_mib_1657_bgp4pathattrtable.cc

I am using release 1.5 with some updates from CVS.

> Pavlin

    José Calhariz

	E parte da cura o desejo de ser curado.
		-- Seneca, o jovem; filosofo romano4 a.C. ± 65 d.C..