[Xorp-users] Builing xorp with --enable-shared vs --with-pic

Jose Manuel dos Santos Calhariz jose.spam at netvisao.pt
Thu Oct 9 02:16:22 PDT 2008

On Tue, Oct 07, 2008 at 04:33:46PM -0700, Pavlin Radoslavov wrote:
> Jose Manuel dos Santos Calhariz <jose.spam at netvisao.pt> wrote:
>
> > I don't know why but I didn't receive the 2 replys to my question.
> > Copying from the archives.

Yes it is, thank you.  I have found and corrected the problem.

> > > What is the original issue you are trying to solve?
> > > According to the above Debian bug report, I am guessing XORP failed
> > > to compile on x86_64 machine with SNMP enabled.
> >
> > > Did you try to use the following commands:
> > >        ./configure --with-snmp --enable-shared
> > >        gmake clean
> > >        gmake
> >
> > > The original text in xorp/ERRATA cited FreeBSD as one of the example
> > > OS-es that have that problem. I just tried Ubuntu-7.10 on amd64, and
> > > using --enable-shared fixed the problem for me.
> >
> > The two options seams to work, --enable-shared and --with-pic.  I am
> > asking what is the best option in the opinion of Xorp developers, as I
> > am one of the persons building xorp to be released in Debian.  But
> > this weekend I had to use a i386 machine for the tests.  It don't
> > break the compilation but complains about non -fPIC code inside a
> > shared library.
> >
> > Now that my x86_64 machine is again working I can try it and be 100%
> > certain that --enable-shared or --with-pic solve the problem.
>
> The original advice in xorp/ERRATA was to use --enable-shared.
> However, if --with-pic solves the problem, I think --enable-shared
> is probably an overkill. Also, the --enable-shared solution hasn't
> been tested in details (e.g., whether the libraries are installed
> properly by "gmake install"), so it might be safer to go with the
> --with-pic solution.

I will use the "--with-pic" option, it worked with my test setup for
next release of Debian in x86_64.  Thank you for your help.

If there is peopled interested in this mailing list I may put in a
public access repository, non-oficial packages of xorp release 1.5 for
Debian 4.0, aka, stable, for i386, amd64, powerpc and sparc archs.

> Pavlin

    José Calhariz

	E parte da cura o desejo de ser curado.
		-- Seneca, o jovem; filosofo romano4 a.C. ± 65 d.C..