[Xorp-users] How to notify the OSPF process to use FEA on a different machine?

Pavlin Radoslavov pavlin at ICSI.Berkeley.EDU
Wed Sep 10 10:07:20 PDT 2008

Mingcy.Xu <mingcy.xu at gmail.com> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> As described in the FEA document, the forwarding plane may be distributed
> across multiple machines. So it must be possible to run the OSFP process on
> one machine with its FEA disabled, and to run its associated FEA on another
> machine.
>
> But how to configure this? How to write the configuration file? It seems
> that no XORP documents have covered this. Anybody can help me?

You configure XORP as usual, and you need to do a bit of extra
work to start the FEA on a remote machine.

Please see the following email for details:
http://mailman.icsi.berkeley.edu/pipermail/xorp-users/2007-October/002134.html

Note that the example in that email is how to run static_routes on a
remote machine, but the solution is basically same for running the
FEA. A small clarification re. the instructions: the sample script
that is at the end of the above email should be named fea/xorp_fea,
and the real xorp_fea binary should be placed on the remote host.

Please let us know how it goes.