[Xorp-users] Fwd: how FEA interacts with underlying forwarding plane?

Bruce Simpson bms at incunabulum.net
Tue Apr 28 01:59:52 PDT 2009

sharda saiwan wrote:

> Actually I am talking about the separation of control plane and data
> plane. According to the separation concept (the ForCES framework), to
> control and configure the data plane, the control plane should consist
> of an image of the underlying data plane (which includes attributes,
> capabilities and state information).
>
> In this separated control and data plane framework, if we use XORP as
> a routing daemon, then FEA is the process that contains all these
> information. So, I think FEA should be placed in control plane and the
> forwarding/data plane will run on a different system.
>
> Please suggest how XORP can be used in the above scenario.

The point is that whilst the FEA is conceptually part of the control
plane, it is coupled to the forwarding plane in terms of implementation.

You can't have the FEA separate from the forwarding plane, it needs to
run on the node which is doing the forwarding, because it encapsulates
the forwarding plane specifics and what is needed to control it.

I highly encourage you to read the source code, in order to understand
why these design decisions were made, and also because it will give you
more of a background (other than theroetical) about exactly what the FEA
is, what it does, and why.

thanks,
BMS