[Xorp-users] xorp architecture]

bhavin81 at iitb.ac.in bhavin81 at iitb.ac.in
Mon Aug 10 18:11:24 PDT 2009

Hello All,

       I need to modify pim-sm implementation in xorp. I have gone
through the code of pim-sm moduel of xorp. I need to modify such
that user can specify some choice L,M or S in its IGMP message send
to router. (which means i also need to modify igmp at user side so
that it gives above three chices). The config files provided by user
in xorp and their interface seems to be problem for me.

     Can you tell me that xorp is implemented at application layer or
it is using tcp/ip stack of kernel? I mean to say is it simulating at
application layer the network layer functionality?

    The other querry is while going through pim-sm code it uses pim_join
prune function for sending join/prune messages but in which moudle
is it really sent to another machine? I know most probably it is fea
then can you tell me the way it goes from xorp one router to another router?
like pim-sm -->  pim-vif --> pim-node --> ---likewise.

   The last querry is from where pim-sm gets routing information since even
if we do not run ospf or any other unicast routing protocol it is still
capable of achieving multicast.

   Thanks in advance for you valuable help.

Regards,
Bhavin,
Networking Student.