[Xorp-users] Announcement: XORP code repository is now live again

Bruce Simpson bms at incunabulum.net
Mon Aug 24 14:49:08 PDT 2009

Hello all,

This is to announce that the XORP code repository is now publicly
available again. The community version of XORP is now being hosted at
SourceForge. Public read-only Subversion access has been enabled.

    Once again, we are very sorry for the delay involved. Since the
transition to XORP, Inc. it was necessary to seek legal advice, to
ensure that releasing the code did not affect the company's position
with regards to copyright and intellectual property. We are confident
these issues have now been resolved, so open development of the code
base may now re-commence.

    We look forward to your feedback, comments and suggestions. Testing
of the public code is strongly encouraged; the more feedback we receive,
the more quickly we can prepare a 1.7 release candidate from this
branch. This would, however, be a maintenance release only, with no new
features planned at this time.

    The major changes to the code in SVN, from 1.6, are as follows:
 * The adoption of a new Python-based build system, SCons.
 * The docs/ have been moved out of the source code directory itself.
SCons has also been deployed there.
 * GNU autotools have been completely eliminated from the tree.
 * Platform support has also narrowed considerably, as we no longer have
access to all of the testing resources. We are focusing on Ubuntu,
Fedora and FreeBSD at this time.
 * SNMP support has also been dropped, as the work was incomplete.

    The main development plan is to refactor the code base to use the
Boost C++ Libraries, and to transition XRL to Facebook/Apache's Thrift
RPC middleware. This work has already begun.

Here are some brief instructions for checking out the XORP code from
Sourceforge SVN:

XORP SVN Quick Hints
====================

To check out xorp source from trunk read-only:

 $ svn co http://xorp.svn.sourceforge.net/svnroot/xorp/trunk/xorp

The first time you check out XORP you may get a message like this:

Error validating server certificate for
'https://xorp.svn.sourceforge.net:443':
 - The certificate is not issued by a trusted authority. Use the
   fingerprint to validate the certificate manually!
Certificate information:
 - Hostname: *.svn.sourceforge.net
 - Valid: from Tue, 11 Nov 2008 20:25:27 GMT until Mon, 11 Jan 2010
20:25:27 GMT
 - Issuer: Equifax Secure Certificate Authority, Equifax, US
 - Fingerprint: 04:b2:70:e9:ba:cf:70:fc:e8:8a:22:86:14:13:51:97:1b:6a:de:38
(R)eject, accept (t)emporarily or accept (p)ermanently?

All that should need to be done is to hit the 'p' key.

To switch an existing read-only checkout to read-write access:

 $ svn switch --relocate http://xorp.svn.sourceforge.net/svnroot/xorp
https://xorp.svn.sourceforge.net/svnroot/xorp

This assumes you have a SourceForge account, and have been granted commit
privileges for the xorp project.

Once again, thanks for all your encouragement and support over the
years, and your patience as we prepare to move in a radically different
direction. We look forward to improving XORP further with your help.

thanks,
BMS