[Xorp-users] Config file error

Bruce Simpson bms at incunabulum.net
Thu Aug 27 04:44:00 PDT 2009

Rae Harbird wrote:
> Am I right in thinking that when you start the process
> independently in this way, the template file is not read?

Correct, template files are processed by the Router Manager. If you run
a process independently, this won't be read.

>  If that is
> correct then can you suggest a way of using a minimal / no template
> file as a way of continuing to debug this problem?

At the moment, the code in public SVN is still using XRL. You might want
to look at one of the shell script stubs used to drive the protocols for
testing:

http://xorp.svn.sourceforge.net/viewvc/xorp/trunk/xorp/pim/xrl_pim_shell_funcs.sh?view=log

We'll obliterate these as part of the move to Thrift, when that happens
(1.8 or 2.0).

One of the problems with XRL, is that the *return* of
compound/structured data isn't handled well. For example, most of the
tools/ exist as C++ programs, just because they need to read, parse and
display this structured data. Thrift can streamline this process, by
putting struct and collection support into the RPC middleware layer itself.

It does however mean moving to an object-oriented scripting language
(Python, Ruby). Given we already use Python a lot, this is tasty.

thanks
BMS