[Xorp-users] Does xorp support remote Click running as forwarding node?

Bruce Simpson bms at incunabulum.net
Thu Dec 3 00:06:26 PST 2009

dong yin wrote:
> Hi,
>
> Does Xorp(V1.6) support remote Click running as forwarding node?
> Initialize and update one forwarding node in a remote machine.

To answer your question:
    In theory, yes, as long as the FEA process is running on the same
machine as Click.

A few words on the state of the Click code:
    Currently, the Click support does not have ongoing support in the
public branch going forward, and really needs a committed maintainer. So
far, there have been no volunteers.
    If Click support is strongly desired by XORP users 'out there',
someone has to take responsibility for maintaining it.
    I'm not really in a position to maintain it (I don't use Click, it's
not part of my remit really), I can only try to look at Click related
patches on a best-effort basis, and I'm usually tied up elsewhere, as
you can see.

I appreciate people are looking for a stable release on which to build
things.

What's in SVN trunk has to be considered the active line of development;
this makes it very difficult to support previous XORP releases, unless
people are willing to come forward and volunteer to maintain previous
releases in SVN, as branches.

thanks,
BMS