[Xorp-users] Urgent Queries about XORP package

Bruce Simpson bms at incunabulum.net
Mon Dec 7 10:48:21 PST 2009

Mohd Arif wrote:

> Dear All,
> I am a new user of XORP. I am still collecting information about XORP.
> I would be thankful to xorp mailing list for the clarifications:
>
> Query #1: Does XORP supports PPC architecture? If yes, what options
> are needed by "configure" to cross   compile the source code? If no,
> then its a bad news :(

Cross-compilation currently hasn't been tested with the SCons build.

You are welcome to contribute to the ongoing development effort of
getting cross compilation to work with the new build system.

> Query #2: Is it possible to compile just PIM-SM in XORP software package?

Yes, if the SCons build is appropriately patched to build only what's
needed.

Patches to do this would be gratefully received.

> Query #3: Does PIM-SM have any dependency on other protocols supported
> by XORP?

Yes, it requires the FEA, IGMP, MLD and libmrt components.

> Query #3: Are XORP and QUAGGA compatible? I mean to say that is it
> possible to use OSPF implementation of QUAGGA and PIM-SM
> implementation of XORP together?

They are not designed to be interoperable in this way.

However, you may be able to get this configuration working by using the
kernel as an indirect RIB. This is of course not going to scale very
well if you have a lot of routes, or if you need to use route policies.

It is also a configuration that can't officially be supported; if you
try this, you're on your own.

I can't think of any singular advantage offered by using Quagga's OSPF
implementation over what's already in the tree.

> Your initial inputs will help me to gain confidence.

New contributors to the project are welcome. Do you plan to submit code?

thanks,
BMS