[Xorp-users] cand-rp without BSR

Pavlin Radoslavov pavlin at ICSI.Berkeley.EDU
Sun Feb 22 12:07:03 PST 2009

Carsten Otto <carsten at c-otto.de> wrote:

> On Wed, Feb 18, 2009 at 11:09:17AM -0800, Pavlin Radoslavov wrote:
> > Which XORP version are you using?

See file xorp/VERSION.

> I cannot figure out how to get the version number, but the files are
> from June 2006. I am installing 1.6 right now.
>
> > If you just configure static-rps and all of them point to the same
> > router (for the same group prefix) this is suppose to work.
>
> I thought so, let's see if 1.6 helps.
>
> > Please send your XORP config you are not sure.
>
> Attached.
>
> > Also, please clarify what you mean by
> > "<your router> does not act as a RP".
>
> It does not forward/route/send the multicast data that is being
> requesting using PIM. It behaves like these packets are ignored (maybe
> because it does not feel responsible).

There could be many reasons for that. E.g., the RP must have
received PIM-SM Join messages from the downstream PIM routers and/or
must have directly connected receivers.
Typically, the "show pim join" xorpsh CLI command is a good starting
point to investigate those issues.