[Xorp-users] XORP announces Release 1.6

Syed Khalid syed.khalid at xorp.net
Thu Jan 8 19:35:08 PST 2009

Dear XORP community members,

We are pleased to announce release 1.6 of the XORP codebase to
the world! The XORP team and contributors have worked very hard over
the last 6 months and 1.6 is a huge milestone in the history of
the XORP project. As many of you know, XORP is now commercially
backed by two well-known and highly-respected venture
capitalists, and one of the benefits for the XORP community is
the additional amount of resources we have been able to bring
to the project.  These increased resources have resulted in
our ability to release 1.6 just months after our announcement
of XORP, Inc and release 1.5.

In terms of project milestones, 1.6 marks the first time
we have put the codebase through a comprehensive and rigorous QA
process, using some of the leading test tools in the market for
layer 3 testing.

Furthermore, here are some of the key improvements in the 1.6
codebase, based on your contributions and user feedback:

- Significantly improved memory performance on the BGP code
  (especially in scenarios with many peers)

- XRL performance improvements

- Improved policy code

- RIP tracing capabilities

- *NEW* VRRP support

- Numerous bug fixes (entire list is in 1.6 Release Notes
  available at http://www.xorp.org/releases/1.6/docs/RELEASE_NOTES

Of late, we have noticed more users incorporating XORP into
their projects, both non-profit and commercial and want to
continue to encourage the community to do so. With the recent
world financial crisis, organizations will be looking more
to open-source as a cost-effective alternative to the
high premiums other networking vendors charge, so help us
spread the word about XORP.org and help all of us build the
momentum behind open-source networking!

Thank you very much for your interest and continued participation
in the XORP open networking platform project. We appreciate
the help and support the community has shown us over the years and
hope that you will enjoy this latest release. If you have any
questions, please feel free to contact us at info at xorp.net.

--The XORP Team