[Xorp-users] Very simple multicast setup, yet can't find any text on how to do it!

Erik Slagter erik at slagter.name
Sat Jan 17 05:03:58 PST 2009

Please help me, even though it might not be strictly xorp related. BTW I
tried xorp and mrd6 to accomplish this.

I have a linux server with 12 ethernet interfaces, traffic between them
is routed by the kernel. All these have one or more
hosts connected, some running ipv6 and/or some of them running
multicast clients.

I have a tool that sends mp3's to a multicast address
(ff05:0:0:0:0:0:2:1) and a tool that listens to this address.

Everything works if I set up a route manually for ff05:0:0:0:0:0:2:1 to
one of the devices, the client indeed gets the traffic and all works.

But that's not my intention. I want the traffic that is sent from the
(same) server to
ff05:0:0:0:0:0:2:1 to be sent out on all interfaces that have clients
requesting the stream (using MLD requests). The client has indeed MLD
packets sent by the kernel of the client to the server.

Seems pretty basic multicasting to me. But I can't get it working. I
tried xorp, plain kernel, mrd6. No errors, but the traffic is simply not
sent out to the client's interfaces. The MLD membership messages are
received and processed, but the traffic still goes out on one single
RANDOM device (in this case a DUMMY interface!)

It doesn't matter how many clients are requesting using MLD, the
multicast routing table simply isn't updated and packets are not
multicast to one or more desired interfaces.

I would be very happy with a sample setup for either xorp or mrd6 that
accomplishes this. If it's even possible without userland applications
(which I suspect) then also please tell me. I am using a recent kernel
(2.6.27.10) which should have ipv6 multicast routing support (and which
is enabled).

Thanks very much indeed!