[Xorp-users] Very simple multicast setup, yet can't find any text on how to do it!

Erik Slagter erik at slagter.name
Sun Jan 18 03:59:26 PST 2009

Thank you for your help this far.

Proceedings this far are:

Pavlin Radoslavov wrote:

>  * The multicast group prefix (fe05::/16) in the static-rps is
>    invalid. It should be the prefix ff00::/8 (or a sub-prefix of
>    it).

This address was a typo in the config file. I corrected it.

>> Anyway, what I created doesn't work. It complains about "IPv6 multicast
>> routing not supported" although I explicitly enabled it in the kernel config.
>
> It seems like the ./configure script didn't discover that the system
> supports IPv6 multicast routing. Please send file config.log which
> was generated after ./configure was run. It should contain the
> reason why ./configure didn't discover it.

I found two problems: the first being having an obsolete "kernel
headers" package installed on my system, while this usually isn't a
problem because I link /usr/include/linux to the source/include
directory of the currently running kernel. But every once in a while
this link gets replaced by a "kernel headers" package when I update the
system :-( The other problem is that xorp 1.5 apparently doesn't support
ipv6 multicast routing on linux anyway (according to the changelog of
1.6). I am surprised by this because I remember having been
experimenting with this earlier on.

So I replaced the link to the kernel headers and got myself xorp 1.6,
configure now says there is ipv6 multicast support, xorp starts,
although with a lot of warnings and I even managed to "draw" a multicast
stream to a client.

 >  * Typically you need to enable more than one interface for
 >    multicast routing.

So I did, although imho it already should work with only one interface,
as the stream is generated on the router host itself.

I have a few issues left though:

  - Almost of the interfaces have clients directly connected, this means
an interface will go "not running" when a client is switched off. The
interface actually is still "up" and should be treated as being "up". So
if I define one of the not-always-active interfaces to the xorp config,
and the link is down (no carrier), xorp bails out. I worked around this
for the moment by changing the is_underlying_vif_up function to always
report "true". Didn't yet test it though.

  - The stream is being directed to the client on reception of MLD
membersip packets, but the stream never stops, even when the client is
long gone (and the client has had MLD packets sent stating "stop"). I
suspect this has something to do with the warnings/errors I am seeing.

BTW is it normal that "ip -6 mroute show" displays nothing?

In the meantime I will do some more testing and trying.