[Xorp-users] Very simple multicast setup, yet can't find any text on how to do it!

Erik Slagter erik at slagter.name
Tue Jan 27 04:48:55 PST 2009

Pavlin Radoslavov wrote:

> It seems the kernel upcalls contain some bogus information.

Hmmm....

This may very well be the case, with my own little
multicast-forwarding-using-kernel program, I experience the same, i.e. I
create a raw socket, call mrt6_init, join mld multicast group, set icmp
filter to "143" and then I still get all sorts of messages from the
socket, some of them hem type "0" the icmp type can be anything. Indeed
looks like a kernel bug to me.

> The following email suggests that other folks might also had seen issues
> with kernel upcalls:

> http://www.linux-ipv6.org/ml/usagi-users/msg04077.html

This involves PIM and router adverts. I try to avoid PIM as much as
possible ;-) Waaaaay too complex.

> Unfortunately I wasn't able to replicate the problem and investigate
> the upcall issues.

Never mind. Maybe you're using a different kernel version?

> In my testing I wasn't even getting the MLD_LISTENER_REPORT
> delivered to the FEA, and there were no upcalls, but I didn't
> investigate further. A potential source of the problem is the one
> described in the following email:
>
> http://www.linux-ipv6.org/ml/usagi-users/msg04031.html

Yeah, I know this one, that's where I got the base for my own little
app, thanks to Todd :-) I couldn't find any text where to start (api...)
if you're going to do anything with ip6 multicast routing on linux :-(