[Xorp-users] Questions on multicast routing

Ben Greear greearb at candelatech.com
Wed Jul 1 11:30:05 PDT 2009

On 07/01/2009 11:22 AM, Williams, Mark wrote:
> Well, looking at the diagram and details in the email, it looks like br1 on R1 was the rendezvous point for the multicast stream, and since you had a relatively high value of 1024000 (81 kbps with default interval value of 100) for switch-to-spt-threshold, a stream of only 64k would not trigger a switch to the shortest path.
>
> In any case, the register-stop message should have been sent from R1 to R2, but that didn't happen either. Was your fix related to this?

As soon as you remove an interface from pim, the task list would hang, and no further tasks
would be processed.  This included sending most (all?) packets to fea.

Once I fixed this I was able to add/remove interfaces and have it all keep working fine.

I think I'll make that switch-to-stp threshold smaller anyway though...seems a lot cleaner to
put even moderately busy connections in the kernel.