[Xorp-users] SNMP support has uncertain future

Bruce Simpson bms at incunabulum.net
Tue Jul 7 10:36:45 PDT 2009

Hi all,

This is just to announce that SNMP support faces an uncertain future in the community branch. The SNMP implementation in community XORP is far from complete.

It suffers from the following major limitations:
 * Only the basic BGP and interface mibs are actually supported.
The OSPF MIB is only a stub.
 * It is completely tied to Net-SNMP.
  No other master SNMP agent may be used. This makes supporting other host platforms for XORP very difficult.
 * It requires shared library support.
  In operational deployment, this is a reasonable requirement, however it does add a dynamically-loaded component to the system SNMP master agent which may fail.

  Whilst I'm circumscribed in what I can say specifically, this entire model is being re-thought in the commercial product. A similar rethink is necessary for community XORP to succeed and continue to provide SNMP support.

  We'd like to make it easier for contributors to add support to the SNMP agent in community XORP too, and hopefully the changes being considered right now will help.

bestest,
BMS