[Xorp-users] OLSR test results on Linux.

Bruce Simpson bms at incunabulum.net
Thu Jul 9 12:48:25 PDT 2009

Ben Greear wrote:

>> Multicasting isn't supported by XORP's OLSR implementation at the
>> moment; that's likely to need kernel patches.
>
> Ahh, but if I run pimsim beside it, it seems to work.

Please do NOT deploy this in a production network :-)
There is no loop detection, and the non-tunneled multicast traffic may
loop back, possibly causing meltdown.

Of course, if you are just using it to receive multicasts at most 1 hop
from the OLSR router, you might get away with it -- providing none of
the OLSR nodes are enabled as multicast forwarders.

But I strongly recommend not doing this in production, until there's at
least histogram based duplicate detection, which does need help from the
kernel.

cheers,
BMS