[Xorp-users] Call for feedback/volunteers: Build system, platform tier support.

Bruce Simpson bms at incunabulum.net
Tue Jul 14 09:16:22 PDT 2009

Ben,

Thanks for this. So, are you willing to be platform lead for Fedora? ;-)

If I had to pin down one Fedora release for XORP community support,
which one would you recommend?

Ben Greear wrote:
>  I'll be using current Fedora releases, so even if core xorp is on
> older releases, I can
> get some test coverage and compile fixes etc for modern releases.  It
> shouldn't be
> hard to get xorp to compile/run on lots of different linux-es.
>
> For that matter, our target platforms are currently:  Fedora Core 5
> (with updated kernel headers),
> FC8 and F11.  I also run the image I compile on FC8 on Ubuntu 9.04
> (with a few library soft-links,
> it seems to work fine).

The Boost project ship a run.py script which automatically gathers
everything, and submits an XML report upstream:
    http://www.boost.org/development/running_regression_tests.html
    http://www.boost.org/development/tests/release/developer/summary.html
[FreeBSD ref8 is having problems...hmm]

    It might be good to integrate something like this into the tree, if
diverse platform support means the wearing of hats by individuals
outside of XORP, Inc.

    I believe it's realistic that XORP, Inc. may still be able to
dedicate some resources to testing on the community branch, although
this is more likely to be for their desktop systems, and the embedded
targets for the commercial product.

    Participating in a BuildBot cluster does mean trusting outsiders
with your computing resources, having infrastructure, etc.
    Not ruling out the continued use of BuildBot -- but the Boost
community clearly identified that it isn't always possible to sustain
cross-platform regression coverage in a community project, so they came
up with a good solution -- self-service regression tests...

cheers,
BMS