[Xorp-users] Call for feedback/volunteers: Build system, platform tier support.

Bruce Simpson bms at incunabulum.net
Wed Jul 15 12:55:16 PDT 2009

Jaime Nebrera wrote:
>   Just a humble opinion. Both Linux distributions could be considered a
> bit "over the edge". It might be feasible to consider RHEL or CentOS for
> those that like more calm life :)

    Unfortunately all of the CentOS images I've tried (5.2 preinstalled
VDIs, 5.2/5.3 net install ISOs) just hang in VirtualBox for me, even
with the usual workarounds. I would give RHEL a try, but there doesn't
seem to be much point, given that it's Fedora under the hood anyway --
and their releases seem to be quite old, and it costs $80/pop, or so it
says here.

    It's probably best for me to just focus on Fedora 11 for the moment,
and let Ben take care of the other Fedora distros, as he suggests: 'one
RPM to rule them all' vs 'you have a build box anyway, right?' [1]
    As regards ongoing support of the kernel coupling to Linux: this is
already mostly taken care of within the source tree, and the APIs/ABIs
involved shouldn't change too much.

    Most of the issues involved in supporting a Linux distribution, on
an ongoing basis, would be integration related anyway, which should not
tie up too much of someone's time. It's just getting things rolling. If
someone is already actively using/participating in a distribution, then
that helps a lot.

thanks,
BMS