[Xorp-users] Move docs/ into own repo subdirectory

Bruce Simpson bms at incunabulum.net
Wed Jul 15 17:32:24 PDT 2009

Hi,

I'd like to move docs/ out of the xorp/ source directory, and into its
own part of the repo.  Any objections?

    The reasoning behind the change: the docs directory contains a
number of large document files, which are normally only updated when a
point release is being rolled. Whilst it could be argued that keeping
docs/ in the same place as the source is likely to encourage developers
to update it, in practice, this makes little difference.

    It doesn't seem right to force users (or distributors) to download
megabytes of data needlessly -- it also considerably slows down CVS and
SVN checkouts because of the sheer size of the files. This is just my
experience / opinion.

    So I would propose moving them further up. Distributions can then
take another tarball, xorp-docs, if they need it. This just plain makes
it easier on distributions and makes it easier to get XORP shipped e.g.
in Fedora or Ubuntu.

What say you all?

thanks,
BMS