[Xorp-users] [Xorp-feedback] Hi

Bruce Simpson bms at incunabulum.net
Thu Jul 16 05:23:42 PDT 2009

Batgirl Ann wrote:

> The problem I have is: I don´t what OS is better to run the XORP on
> (Linux, BSD, windows server 2003) so I would like you to sugest me
> which one is better, also I wanted to know an easyer way to download
> the code and documentation because i really find it a little hard to
> click the links and open a bunch of tabs to download the code peace by
> peace, or maybe I haven´t the correct link on your page.

    Whilst we're very grateful that you are considering working on XORP,
you should be aware that XORP is going through a period of radical
change at the moment.

    Implementing a graphical interface for XORP, with one of the
community releases, would require an in-depth knowledge of C++.  It is
also highly probable that, if you started work on a graphical interface
for an older release now, we would not be able to accept it as a
contribution, as the system interfaces involved are definitely going to
change.

    The last community release was version 1.6. Out of all of the
platforms XORP supports, FreeBSD is probably your best choice for the
previous community releases, as that was the main development platform.

    We are certainly not going to abandon FreeBSD, however, the reality
of the situation is that many organisations which have an interest in
XORP, are using some flavor of Linux. So there realistically has to be a
support model in place, to focus on delivering something which works
well, where it works.

    XORP should compile out of the box on most Linux systems. There is
an Ubuntu/Debian binary package of the 1.5 release. You should be able
to download the source tarball here:
http://www.xorp.org/releases/1.6/xorp-1.6.tar.gz

    You can install XORP 1.6 as a FreeBSD port, which will download the
source for you automatically. More information is available at this
link: http://www.freshports.org/net/xorp/

    As for the documentation -- you're right, there is no easy way of
downloading all the documentation, in PDF format, or otherwise browing
it. That is further down the task list.

thanks,
BMS