[Xorp-users] Move docs/ into own repo subdirectory

Bruce Simpson bms at incunabulum.net
Thu Jul 16 05:36:21 PDT 2009

Ben Greear wrote:
> Are the big files auto-generated from smaller source?  If so, how
> about we just don't
> include the generated files in cvs/svn/whatever and let users build
> them if they
> want them.  (Compiled packages could include the generated files, of
> course.)

    * Ironically enough, we just got a feedback@ response from someone
who's had problems downloading the documentation... my reply I have Cc'd
to the list here.

    * The problem is not so much the fact that there are huge files, but
the fact that a lot of this stuff is static content, which is of
academic and background interest, being shipped around with the code,
even though it's not actually used for a build.
    * The toolchain needed is significantly different, also.
    * Ubuntu/Debian ship XORP's documentation in a separate binary package.

    * It's not something that we can just hand-off to folk, and expect
them to just pick up and start hacking, in its current state. Which is
why it has to change.

    Whoah, that's 5 points in favour. I think that seals the fate of
docs/ for me, I am going to move it out of the source. devnotes/ can
stay for the time being.

    On an orthogonal note:    kdoc needs to fall under the axe also.
Doxygen was already implemented for the XORP/OLSR stack, as the client
specifically requested it. I have tweaks for Doxygen  under
contrib/olsr/[D]oxy* for anyone who cares to look.

cheers,
BMS