[Xorp-users] simple xorp configuration

Bruce Simpson bms at incunabulum.net
Sat Jul 18 08:39:40 PDT 2009

Timur Irmatov wrote:

>>     Did you look at fea/iftree.cc line 1607? This assertion looks as though
>> it's being triggered because you have more than one interface with the same
>> interface index in this system. XORP's FEA will use the interface index as
>> the primary key for learning about network interfaces in the system.
>>

> Uhm, I don't quite understand what that means. I don't assign
> interface indexes, it is done by Linux itself, I guess?

That's right.

    Have you tried putting an inner vif eth0 {} block into your initial
configuration?  It seemed to be missing in the config you posted.
    I believe vifs were originally intended to mirror some of the
multiple virtual interface stuff that's possible in ATM and other more
layered network transports. However they persist in community XORP's
configuration model, and need to be present in order for your
configuration to work.

[I think the original vlan problem had something to do with interface
naming, but I could be thinking of FreeBSD here, which is what I
normally do work on.]

> I have tried to search archives but found nothing. By the way, I tried
> to install XORP 1.6 on fresh stable Debian lenny system, I have the
> same problem with creation of vlans through xorp.

    The VLAN support code is still relatively recent in terms of XORP's
development history, it is entirely something possible is broken there.
Unfortunately, I can't look into it in detail at the moment.

    There is a binary package for Ubuntu/Debian, however I don't know
what version 'lenny' refers to, the package may be available for your
version. Are you using the binary package, or building XORP from source?

    We would like to support Ubuntu as a 'tier 1' platform, and could
use all the help we can get.

thanks,
BMS