[Xorp-users] configure round-robin load balancing

Bruce Simpson bms at incunabulum.net
Mon Jul 27 08:03:48 PDT 2009

Bruce Simpson wrote:
> Emanuel Jöbstl wrote:
>
>> Hey there
>>
>> Is it possible to configure some sort of round-robin load balancing in XORP?
>>
>> for example that if there are two routes with the metrics 11 and 15, the router should forward the traffic two times to the route with the low cost and one time to the high-cost route?
>>

> The FEA and RIB currently does not support equal-cost multi-hop.
> Patches for this would be gratefully accepted.

Sorry: let me rephrase; This level of interaction between the RIB, FEA
and host forwarding plane isn't supported. It is a function of the
forwarding plane.

Whilst the RIB supports metrics in the final table(s) pushed to the FEA,
it would be necessary to add some platform-independent means of
configuring this round-robining behaviour to the FEA.

This class of feature is congruent with the changes which would be
necessary to support ECMP.

thanks
BMS