[Xorp-users] install problem

Bruce Simpson bms at incunabulum.net
Mon Jul 27 08:13:22 PDT 2009

Bruce Simpson wrote:
> Qihua Yang wrote:
>
>> I have joined the group xorp. But I still cannot run in configure
>> mode. Is there anybody help me?
>>

> You need to add yourself to group 'xorp' if it does not already exist on
> your system, please refer to the documentation:

Sorry, it sounds like you've already done that. Please remember that
most UNIX systems require you log out and log back in for changes to the
group database to be seen in the current session.

Have you looked at the code which contains the error message about
permissions, to see where the permission check is implemented?

I'm not too familiar with the Router Manager internals. I'm sure the
answer is probably an FAQ, so you might wish to check the mailing list
archives. Sorry I can't be of more help with your issue at the moment.

FWIW I usually run both xorpsh and xorp_rtrmgr as root, just for
convenience during development. I believe xorpsh as a normal user should
work, however you may run into issues with path permissions for 'save',
'load' etc.

thanks,
BMS