[Xorp-users] Xorp system as DR in backbone = disaster

Bruce Simpson bms at incunabulum.net
Mon Jun 1 14:38:44 PDT 2009

Mark,

Thanks very much for your hard work, and diligence, in clarifying that
this situation only arises when MD5 authentication is in use (off-list,
Cc: ing list and Syed to pick up).

Williams, Mark wrote:
> The problem appears to be related to MD5 authentication on segments with multiple neighbors. When I have Xorp configured to use MD5 authentication, it will only peer with one other neighbor, even if the MD5 keys are correct on all systems. When the xorp system is the DR and I'm using MD5 authentication, problems arise. As soon as I turn MD5 off, all is well.

I have been busy finishing the Source-Specific Multicast (SSM)
implementation (IGMPv3, MLDv2) in the FreeBSD kernel. This work should
now be complete so I'll have more free time to look at XORP problems in
detail for the time being.

If you could raise a Bugzilla report that would be really helpful, as
then we'll have audit trail to work from and work out why MD5 is
breaking the DR behaviour.

Off the top of my head, AreaRouter is probably the place to start looking.

thanks,
BMS