[Xorp-users] Error in make check

Bruce Simpson bms at incunabulum.net
Sun Jun 7 21:16:03 PDT 2009

vommwa at yahoo.com wrote:
> Hello, I've been trying to run make check, but some of the tests fail.
> I have attached the output as a text file.
> I am tring to install the latest stable version of XORP, xorp-1.6. on
> Netkit, a UML-based networking testbed which starts up Debina virtual
> machines. Debian version is 4.0 (etch), with kernel version 2.6.26-5 .
> I am ussing gcc 4.3.3-8 and g++ 4.3.3-8

The most likely explanation for the regression test failure you are
observing is timer aliasing in your UML instance.
This is probably affecting timing in the regression test itself.

One issue with the XORP EventLoop is that the timers it uses to invoke
periodic events are subject to jitter introduced by the operating
system's scheduler, as well as the EventLoop code itself. Normally in
operational practice this jitter doesn't affect timer operation in a way
which would cause any catastrophic failures of the system.

Assuming that the tests pass OK when you run 'gmake check' in a
non-virtualized environment, there may be no cause for concern here.

thanks,
BMS