[Xorp-users] xorp connecting mrouted

Bruce Simpson bms at incunabulum.net
Sun Jun 7 21:17:33 PDT 2009

irfan irfan wrote:
> Any one can connecting xorp and mrouted  for multicast routing ? Xorp
> use PIM-SM protocol and mrouted use DVMRP protocol....
> thanks

I'm afraid that isn't possible; XORP has no DVMRP support.

If you wanted to port DVMRP to XORP, I'm sure that's a code contribution
that would be gladly considered for the project, but only the basis of
enabling interoperability with legacy systems. The MBONE does not exist
now as such, and it was one of the last networks to use DVMRP for
operational deployments.

DVMRP should be considered an obsolete protocol which is not recommended
for new multicast deployments. There are certain instances in which it
may still be useful, but generally, PIM-SM is more desirable for many
different reasons which I will not describe here for brevity.

thanks,
BMS