[Xorp-users] XORP problems at boot

Bruce Simpson bms at incunabulum.net
Wed Jun 10 00:35:05 PDT 2009

Hi,

Sorry for the delay in my response -- it looks like you sent this
followup to me personally...

mailing list is the preferred venue for XORP questions, thanks!

Soucy, Ray wrote:
> Pentium(R) Dual-Core CPU E5200 2.50GHz, rev. 6 (2494.116 MHz)
> Linux 2.6.29.1
> XORP 1.6
>
> Clock in BIOS and clock on OS after boot are both correct and in sync w/
> RIP router (which is actually the NTP source)
> Clock doesn't seem to change during the boot process...
> It is a pretty customized Linux setup, loads everything into a ram disk
> then unmounts the physical disk after boot (to avoid disk damage due to
> power loss, or service disruption from disk failure).

Hmm. Something is definitely amiss with timing, then.

> Very odd that it works fine if run manually post-boot (making me think
> its not a XORP issue) just figured I'd ask if anyone else has
> experienced it.

When you compiled XORP, did the config.log file say that support for
CLOCK_MONOTONIC was there?

%%%
configure:30741: checking whether the build environment has CLOCK_MONOTONIC
configure:30771: gcc -c -g -O2  conftest.c >&5
configure:30777: $? = 0
configure:30787: result: yes
%%%

If you're cross compiling this can also be an issue.

> The crash on boot if interfaces aren't connected is a bit of an
> annoyance though.  Is there a way to prevent this (perhaps running some
> ifconfig commands before XORP is started?)

> We are using PIM-SM pretty extensively.

That'll be why -- there is a patch for this issue but it isn't
integrated yet.

Search xorp-users@ archives for 'Heiko'.

thanks,
BMS