[Xorp-users] QoS in XORP routers

Bruce Simpson bms at incunabulum.net
Fri Jun 12 11:19:42 PDT 2009

Murad wrote:
> Hi,
>
> Can anyone please tell me how to configure QoS like Diffserv in XORP
> routers. I have two XORP routers. router A connected to router B and
> router B connected to Cisco router. Both the routers has two NICs
> installed.I am doing multicasting for IPTV. i want if i can configure
> these routers to sent different traffic classses for IPTV streams and
> internet traffic as well as VOIP traffic.

End-to-end Internet QoS is still an ongoing research topic.

In-depth support for IP ToS (i.e. DiffServ) is not part of XORP, it
requires tight coupling to the forwarding plane. There is basic support
for protocols to request that they have Internetwork Control precedence
and that's about it.

Typically the model boils down to using a firewall/packet filter module
as a traffic classifier -- then implementing QoS according to some form
of output queueing. Linux and the BSDs support this model --
unfortunately, there is no real standard for the API coupling involved,
and glue code as found in the FEA would be needed.

cheers,
BMS