[Xorp-users] Questions about Xorp.

David Balnaves david at utopia.cable.nu
Wed Jun 17 07:32:00 PDT 2009

Hi Xorp Users,

I've just discovered xorp after trying bird and quagga.

I really like quagga but it seems that there were some bugs I couldn't
figure a way around and as such I have decided to look into xorp.  There was
also a clear lack of support for IGMP & PIM under these routing daemons
(while this is not the place, please correct me if I'm wrong!).

So far the XORP work seems really impressive, but I have a few things I
would like to clarify:

* Is there any prerequisite configuration needed on the router before XORP
is started (including IPv6)?  For example, should I need to configure
anything under the debian network scheme of /etc/network/interfaces?

* To my understanding Xorp doesn't appear to support IPv6 router
advertisements for auto address configuration, is this correct?  Is there
plans to implement this functionality?

* I'm using OSPFv3 for IPv6.  I see some IPv6 interfaces on my Xorp router
that return "destination host unreachable".  When I query the route I see:
2002:XXXX:XXXX:4::1 via 2002:XXXX:XXXX:4::1 dev eth1  src 2002:XXXX:XXXX::2
metric 0
    cache  mtu 1500 advmss 1440 hoplimit 4294967295

I also see that the the interface has "scope global tenative", what does
this mean?  Is there a way to resolve this issue?

3: eth1: <BROADCAST,MULTICAST,UP,LOWER_UP> mtu 1500 qdisc pfifo_fast state
UNKNOWN qlen 1000
    link/ether 00:40:48:b1:23:36 brd ff:ff:ff:ff:ff:ff
    inet 192.168.4.1/24 brd 192.168.4.255 scope global eth1
    inet6 2002:XXXX:XXXX:4::1/64 scope global tentative
       valid_lft forever preferred_lft forever
    inet6 fe80::240:48ff:feb1:2336/64 scope link tentative
       valid_lft forever preferred_lft forever

Also, I understand that in OSPFv3 the link local is used for next hop
routing.  Is there a reason why you need to declared the link local address
(ie: fe80:) on the interface under OSPFv3 protocol?  Why isn't this
inherited from the interface?

* Xorp seems to do mostly everything from within the CLI.  Is there syntax
to declare if I an address should be gained from DHCP, or RA in the case of
IPv6?

Either way, I think XORP is awesome.  I'd love to get the chance to use this
in a production environment!

--
David Balnaves