[Xorp-users] How to AS prepend ?

Bruce Simpson bms at incunabulum.net
Fri Jun 26 06:10:08 PDT 2009

Sébastien Namèche wrote:
> Nop, it's a "u32" (at least for 1.6).

Sorry, I was looking at as-path-list. Next...

>> Is this not your desired result? Your local-as is clearly set to 64512.
>
> Yes, but this is not exactly what we want. We would like to prepend
> our AS to one of the prefix distributed from OSPF to BGP.

What is your desired as-path on the redistributed route(s), in the
output you'd expect to see in the BGP routing table ?

> Our goal is to announce the first prefix to this peer so that the
> route through this router will be the best.

That looks fine, subject to AS local-pref. Does this part work for you
as expected?

> At the same time, we also want to announce another prefix, but this
> router will act as a "backup" route for "X.Y.W.0/23". This prefix will
> be announced by another router with a shortest path. So we need to
> prepend our AS to the path of the second prefix for this router.

So your intention is in fact to announce the same prefix X.Y.W.0/23,
from the XORP BGP router, but with your AS path prepended to the
existing AS path advertised by another BGP router which already
announces prefix X.Y.W.0/23?

This isn't going to work if you're directly applying the policy to the
route redistributed from OSPF, as described earlier; it sounds as though
you need to inject this prefix announcement manually, and/or specify the
AS of your peer with the shortest path explicitly.

thanks,
BMS