[Xorp-users] Basic questions for static routing

Bruce Simpson bms at incunabulum.net
Tue Jun 30 04:11:13 PDT 2009

Hello,

Robert Appleton wrote:
> Hi All,
>
> I just got xorp running today, but now am trying to figure out how to
> configure a simple static route between 2 computers (3 including the
> one xorp is on) on different subnets. I have them set on different
> subnets through a switch (for testing purposes at the moment. I just
> want them to be able to ping each other. How do I need to configure
> the computer with xorp on it? (I'm running fedora). Do I need to alter
> anything in my boot file pasted below? Thanks for the help. Let me
> know if more information is needed.

    You might want to fold the vif {} and static {} blocks together as
they should actually get parsed as same block, however this may just be
stylistic. Not knowing your network topology, I couldn't say further,
apart from the above issue your config looks fine.

    Do remember that in order for ICMP echo packets to be transmitted
and received, all of the machines involved must have valid routes
pointing to each other's network prefix, or otherwise be reachable i.e.
in both directions.

    You need at least one way of reaching the XORP box i.e. a management
interface, normally this must be configured at boot in your distribution
using its normal procedures.
    Different subnets on same physical switch is fine for testing, but
it's usually discouraged for operational reasons. You will of course
need to have the appropriate configuration in place on the other
machines for this.

    I'm not familiar with Fedora, so can't advise on how you might do
that, hopefully others can help.

hope this helps
BMS