[Xorp-users] Dynamic Tunnels/Callbacks

Isaac isaacnskb at gmail.com
Tue Mar 3 04:07:51 PST 2009

Hello everyone,

I am currently in the process of evaluating XORP for our custom solution.
We tried XORP back in 2005 (even before OSPF was implemented) for multicast
routing and it worked great.  Now, I need to evaluate it again and see if it
will be a good fit for this project.  Before I do that, I want to see if
someone has ran into a similar network topology or has done something
similar and see if I can get some pointers.

The attached image shows my current setup.  The following describes the
elements:

* static[1-3] - Dumb routers that have static routes (including multicast,
they just forward packets and dont care about membership) and they cannot be
dynamically changed.
* xorp[1-3] - These are the only items that can be tweaked.
* windows[1-3] - Regular computers that always have to be connected
transparently
* modem[1-2] - Modems used to connect to dialin server
* dialing - Dialin server running ppp that can also run XORP

An element group consists of a windows, xorp, and static elements and each
group is on a separate subnet.

Currently there are two requirements

1) static1 usually dies (part of the experiment).  When that happens xorp2
and xorp1 need to dial a server and communicate and exchange routes Windows
2 can talk to Windows 1.
2) Element groups should be able to join dynamically

Currently I am thinking of creating tunnels dynamically between all XORP
machines (n * xorp machines on each box) with a custom multicast protocol
and running something like OSPF on the tunnels.  This will allow me treat
each XORP router as a next hop neighbor.  Once OSPF detects a link is down,
I could setup a callback for dialing and exchange routers between xorp1 and
xorp2 over the dialin server.  My questions are:

1) Can routing be done in this setup without dynamic tunnels
2) Can callbacks be setup on XORP so that when a router is down a script can
be ran.
3) Other potential solutions.

Thanks in advanced for any help.

--