[Xorp-users] rip on freebsd

Bruce Simpson bms at incunabulum.net
Thu May 7 07:54:54 PDT 2009

John Hay wrote:
> I have started with an empty conf file and then used xorpsh to do
> the config and saved that. The config + xorp_rtrmgr.log and
> sockstat.out is on http://people.freebsd.org/~jhay/xorp/

Your config file looks fine.

I will hazard a wild guess: try adding a default route, using the XORP
static routes module, to your config, and see if this condition is still
present.

I did a LOT of multicast refactoring in FreeBSD. I don't believe 7.2
should have the problem I inadvertently introduced in the 6.x train with
default interface lookup,  but I would like to be able to rule it out --
AFAIK it did not bite XORP, and I haven't seen that problem in the 7.x
train since.

The next place I'd look is ktrace-ing the FEA; use ktrace(8) to pull FEA
activity at runtime, preferably as soon as it starts to run. A shell
script with kill -0 to detect the process has started is fine, it's not
too racy. The libcomm message involved could probably be made more useful.

Also pull sockstat and check that the socket(s) are in fact being
created. Multicast sockets shouldn't be bound to an interface, but they
do need to be bound to the port (INADDR_ANY, 520).

thanks,
BMS