[Xorp-users] querry: Why Dropping packet from foreign network 10.10.20.0/24?

Bruce Simpson bms at incunabulum.net
Thu May 7 08:21:27 PDT 2009

bhavin81 at iitb.ac.in wrote:
> Hello friends,
>
>        I have installed xorp on two suse 10.3 machines. Both the machines
> are connected to same switch. I have configured one machine with the
> following interface address: 10.10.10.10  and other machine with the
> adddress
> 10.10.10.20. Now i am getting the following message when i run
> ./xorp_rtrmgr on machine 1:
>  Dropping packet from foreign network 10.10.20.0/24
> and the following message on machine2:
>  Dropping packet from foreign network 10.10.10.0/24

The machines are clearly configured to be in different IPv4 subnets,
therefore they will not form an OSPF adjacency.
So, XORP is behaving according to design here. Is this intentional on
your part?

The fact that the traffic gets through at all on your second machine,
without VLAN encapsulation, isn't really relevant, and I can neither
prove nor disprove that, not knowing the VLAN switch config. So I'm
assuming that you did in fact configure the VLAN encapsulation to be
stripped on the port on the switch which your second machine is
connected to.

If you want these two OSPF routers to form an adjacency, you must
configure them to be in the same IPv4 subnet.

thanks,
BMS