[Xorp-users] XORP 1.6 support Click 1.6.0 ?

Bruce Simpson bms at incunabulum.net
Thu May 7 09:29:00 PDT 2009

dong yin wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> Dose XORP 1.6 support Click v1.6.0? When I run XORP 1.6 to control the
> remote Click forwarding data plane (click 1.6.0), errors happened.

Short answer: don't know. Looks like some of the element behaviour has
changed.
I see you are using userland Click, there is probably going to be less
churn there.

Long answer: Click is a separate project from XORP and the development
focus hasn't really included Click. It would be great to have someone
who is able to support and maintain the Click integration on an ongoing
basis, however I don't think XORP, Inc. has the resources to support the
Click integration just at the moment. Click itself is positioned more as
a research tool, if folk started using Click in production deployments
then I daresay this would change more quickly.

For Click itself I can only really speak for the FreeBSD kernel support,
which I tried to keep up-to-date (based on Marko Zec's work) but this
has bit-rotted somewhat. The patch I gave Eddie Kohler a while back has
helped but I think others have had to pitch in and help out since then.

thanks,
BMS