[Xorp-users] How to Launching Net-SNMP via the router manager?

Bruce Simpson bms at incunabulum.net
Mon May 11 22:02:47 PDT 2009

Hi,

I'm not fully up to date with how SNMP support in XORP may have changed
since the 1.5 release.
I understand XORP has since cut over to using shared libraries in the
build by default.

However I have a few questions:
* Which OS platform are you running XORP on?
I need to know this because the runtime dynamic linker behaviour differs
across platforms.

* Are you running XORP after it has been installed using 'gmake
install', or are you running XORP from a source tree checkout?
I need to know this because it looks as though you are attempting to use
XORP's SNMP MIB support without installing XORP.

jjw0927 wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> I have installed XORP-1.6-RC and Net-SNMP-5.4.2.1. And Both of them
> have been compiled.
> I have configured the Net-snmp and XORP according the files of
> "${XORP}/mibs/snmpdscripts/README" and "XORP SNMP Agent 1.6.pdf".
>
> And now I want to launch Net-SNMP via the router manager, but it
> failed. Below is the output when I run the command "sudo ./xorp_rtrmgr
> -b config.boot" in terminal:

Based on the log output and configuration file in your post, it looks as
though you are attempting to load the MIB module into the Net-SNMP
daemon process without using 'gmake install' first to install XORP on
your system.

I don't believe this is a use case we can support, because shared
objects found in a .libs directory need to be re-linked by libtool
before installation -- they should not be used directly. So it is highly
likely that the MIB module you are attempting to load into Net-SNMP has
missing runtime library dependencies.

To confirm this, you'd need to use the 'ldd' command on the
/usr/local/xorp/mibs/.libs/bgp4_mib_1657.so file. However, not all
platforms support listing shared library dependencies directly, which is
why I need to know what platform you are running XORP on when reporting
problems of this kind, it is essential information.

thanks,
BMS