[Xorp-users] rip on freebsd

Bruce Simpson bms at incunabulum.net
Mon May 11 22:10:31 PDT 2009

John Hay wrote:

>> As I mentioned in my previous reply, 'ktrace' is pretty much needed to
>> find out exactly what the FEA is doing when this error is hit -- and where
>> the sendto() is going. Because XORP processes are children of the Router
>> Manager, you will need to intercept the FEA being started. You can do this
>> by hand if you have good reaction times, or just write a script to do it. I
>> believe I had a script somewhere to jump in and trap XORP process creation
>> with gdb, but I'd have to hunt for it.
>>

> I have not tried to ktrace it yet.

I will dig up this script and modify it to use ktrace instead of gdb; it
is essential that the problem gets pinned down to a particular set of
socket syscalls.

The ENETUNREACH error on a socket can only come from a very limited set
of call paths in the FreeBSD kernel.

> So if you start xorp/rip on a freebsd box with interfaces configured, but
> without routes allready installed, it works?

I haven't tested this directly since the 1.5 release. My desktop machine
has a single msk(4) interface and has 7.2-RELEASE installed from source,
which should make it possible to exercise it once I have some time to
reproduce the issue.

thanks,
BMS