[Xorp-users] rip on freebsd

John Hay jhay at meraka.org.za
Tue May 12 02:58:55 PDT 2009

On Tue, May 12, 2009 at 08:26:06AM +0100, Bruce Simpson wrote:
> Bruce Simpson wrote:
> >I will dig up this script and modify it to use ktrace instead of gdb; it
> >is essential that the problem gets pinned down to a particular set of
> >socket syscalls.
> >

> Here's that script. This is intended for trapping the creation of a XORP
> child process and hooking GDB up to it, I think I wrote it to debug a
> DoS in the XRL input path, it is probably in Bugzilla somewhere also. As
> written here, it is intended for use under Gentoo Linux.
>
> Using 'kdump -E -r -f /tmp/xorp_fea.ktrace' should shed more light on
> what syscalls the FEA is invoking when the multicast socket failure is
> encountered. kdump knows how to decode some setsockopt() calls in a
> human-readable format, but not all.
>
> Alternatively, you could just ktrace xorp_rtrmgr and all children; this
> will not race xorp_fea's creation, but will produce LOTS of output. You
> could also hack the FEA's template file to run xorp_fea under ktrace
> directly, which is how I usually ran valgrind to find various QA issues
> in XORP.

I tried an easier (for me) way. I moved xorp_fea to xorp_fea-bin and
replaced it with a script that just did:
exec ktrace -f /tmp/xorp_fea.ktrace /usr/local/fea/xorp_fea-bin $*

I have put xorp.conf, xorp_fea.ktrace.gz, xorp_fea.kdump.gz and
xorp_rtrmgr.log on http://people.freebsd.org/~jhay/xorp/

BTW I found that I do not need a default route for rip to work,
"route add 224.0.0.0/4 -interface lo0" is enough.

John
--
John Hay -- John.Hay at meraka.csir.co.za / jhay at FreeBSD.org